Since I have a pending deadline for a grant proposal that is looming large on the immediate horizon, I haven't had time to put together any new posts for the past week or so here at The Grumpy Grappler. So, I thought this lull might be a nice time to post the second installment in the new Grappling Links series. While you may have seen some of these links and stories making their way around the interwebs, hopefully at least a few are new to you (as they were to me)! As always, if you have any other newsworthy or interesting links to share, please post them in the comment threads! Either way, happy browsing!
- As I recently suggested here and here, the Gracie family is arguably guilty of a fair amount of embellishment when it comes to their place in the history of jiu jitsu. In 1996 Rorion Gracie took his own myth-making prowess to new heights in a story/interview that appeared in Playboy (which has been reprinted here at On the Mat). It's worth a read. It's also worth trying to distinguish the fact from the fiction. The moral of the story: You shouldn't always believe your idols (even if some of the things they say are surely true)!
- Rorion's brother Rickson has made the news recently with the announcement that he is leading the efforts to provide an alternative to the IBJJF. He recently sat down with Budo Jake to discuss the newly created JJGF. Along the way, he also goes over some "invisible jiu jitsu" details when it comes to the upa escape. There isn't much out there on the interwebs when it comes to video instructionals from Rickson, so this shouldn't be missed!
- The so-called "Williams Guard" has long been of interest to me. Unfortunately, I haven't had the disposable income needed to be the three-DVD instructional Shawn Williams put out with Budovideos. Fortunately, someone took an impressive amount of time to piece together a GIF-heavy guide to the Williams guard over at Sherdog (of all places)! It's pretty amazing and well worth your time if you want to start tinkering around with the position.
- If you have friends or family members who don't quite understand what it is you do when you say you do jiu jitsu, you could have them watch this video entitled, "What is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?" The main drawback is that it's in Portuguese (but it's set to a cool song by AWOL Nation)!
- The always entertaining and intimidating Ralph Gracie gives an interview here. Of all the Gracies, he seems to be the closest to a modern day gladiator when it comes to his mindset and philosophy!
- An interesting read over at Fightland Blog by Eugene Robinson about Olympic and world champion Mark Schultz. If wrestling isn't your thing, check out the recent piece about up and coming UFC star Gunnar Nelson--a submission grappling standout.
- Some interesting suggestions by Daniel Faggella about grappling for old farts like me. You just have to look past Faggella's irritating marketeering and self-promotion--which he seems to have gotten from the never worthwhile Llloyd Irvin.
- Finally, Gracie Barra has posted a nice little checklist for troubleshooting postions. If you're having difficulty getting certain positions or techniques to work, this should be some helpful preliminary food for thought!
OK, that's it for now. Hopefully you found some of these links of interest. If not, please share some additional stories and links in the discussion thread!